Source: Laura Ritchey (Betty Crocker’s Easy Everyday Vegetarian)
- 1/4 C non-dairy butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cans (15 to 16 oz each) great northern beans, undrained
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)
- Corn tortilla chips, if desired
- In 4-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except tomato and tortilla chips. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Top individual servings with tomato and tortilla chips if desired.
White Bean Chili
Course: Main Dish, Soup