The best vegan pancakes are pancakes made of ingredients you typically have in your pantry that are still fluffy and tasty. These pancakes, based of the “Fluffiest Vegan Pancakes” from Tasty Vegetarian are easy to make and don’t require special vegan ingredients. You don’t even need flax seed or chia seed for an alternative to eggs.
One interesting technique in vegan baking is the combination of vinegar and baking leavening agents. This recipe uses that combination both to bind the pancakes and to give it a proper raise and texture. This technique surprisingly does not have that “vinegar” flavor or the “baking soda / powder” flavor, despite the significant amount often used. Personally, I prefer apple cider vinegar, but others work as well.
Now that our chemistry lesson is done, here is the recipe for a delicious, fluffy pancake. I changed up a few things in the recipe to reflect what I typically have in my kitchen. Customize it to use whatever you have available; it is a flexible recipe.
Tasty Fluffy Vegan Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut creamer (unsweetened) or non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Whisk dry ingredients together
- Measure non-dairy milk in a measuring cup and add vinegar and vanilla; let stand for a few minutes
- Incorporate wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. I start by slowly pouring it into the center while whisking the flour on the outside into the center well of liquid. This prevents clumps in the whisk and allows incorporation with as little mixing as possible.
- Once incorporated (there still should be some small lumps), let sit for about 5 minutes
- Using a non-stick skillet, scoop a half cup into the skillet and cook over medium heat. If you don’t use an electric griddle, you may need to adjust the heat as you cook the pancakes.
- Flip once the bubbles pop at the top of the pancake and it is no longer wet on top.
- Let brown on second side and keep warm in oven. I put the oven on at 175 degrees.
- Pour some maple syrup on top and enjoy!