This chili can easily be adapted to be oil free or sugar free. It is flavorful and filling.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion medium
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp coriander ground
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 jalapeño seeded and minced
- 1 can tomatoes whole
- 1/2 pound green beans trimmed and cut crosswise in half
- 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (15 oz) black beans rinsed and drained
- In non-stick 5 or 6 quart Dutch oven, heat oil (if using) over medium heat until hot. If not using oil, use water. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, coriander, garlic and jalepenos (optional). Cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes with their juice, green beans, sweet potatoes, sugar, salt and water. Heat to boiling over medium high heat, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add black beans and heat through, about 2 minutes longer.