Brown Lentils and Rice (Fakes me Ryzi)
- 2 cups dried small brown lentils
- sea salt
- 8 cups water
- 1 small vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups unseasoned tomato sauce or 3 tablespoons of tomato paste dissolved in 1 1/4of water
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (or 1 bay leafor 1 sprig of fresh oregano)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil optional
- Rinse lentils under running water. Place in a large pot with plenty of cold salted water and boil over high heat for 10 minutes. Drain and discard water.
- Add lentils, 8 cups of cold water, and bouillon cube to a large pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes and add rice. Reduce heat to medium-high and continue to boil, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce (or tomato paste and water), rosemary (or bay leaf or oregano), grated carrot, chopped onion and garlic, pepper (and optional olive oil). When boil resumes, reduce heat to medium-low and cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes, until liquid reduces and is no longer watery (it will cook down to a thin sauce texture).
- Remove pot from heat, cover with a clean dish towel, and let sit for 15-20 minutes until all or most of the remaining liquid is absorbed.
- Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
Serves 10 as a side or salad; serves 6-7 as a main dish