This cheese paska recipe from the cookbook “From a Monastery Kitchen” is great for those of us who have trouble getting a smooth texture with the traditional farmer’s cheese based paska recipe. It’s delicious!
- 3 egg yolks well beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 pound sweet butter room-temp
- 1 tbsp vanilla high quality
- 11 oz cream cheese room-temp
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 3/4 cup whipped heavy cream
- Beat the egg yolks well. Gradually add the sugar. Beat well again.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon extract.
- Cream the butter and add the cream cheese. Beat mixture.
- Add the butter/cheese mixture to the egg yolk mixture. Beat well.
- Add heavy cream. Beat well.
- Pack into large clay flower pot (new) or use a traditional cheese form. Line with a cheese cloth folded into four layers.
- Cover with saran wrap and place a brick on top to weigh it down.
- Put into a plastic bag to prevent any odors from reaching it.
- Place on top rack with a little dish under it to catch the liquid that drains (this recipe only drains a little).
- Remove from the mold after 24 hours and decorate for Pascha.