Nistásimo Melachrinó (Lenten Walnut Cake)
This recipe makes a 9"x9" square cake. For Coffee Hour I make the recipe double and bake in a 9"x13" pan, but the cake is somewhat deeper. You could make two squares with a double recipe.
Servings: 9 square cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 cups fresh orange juice
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander seed
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans or almonds, or a mixture)
- 3/4 cup dates – or raisins or even chopped fig
- 2 Tablespoons grated orange peel
- In bowl of electric mixer, combine flour, salt and spices. Add oil to flour mixture and beat gently.
- Add in sugar and orange juice, beating on low speed until blended, then beat 5 minutes. Add nuts, raisins and orange peel; mix well.
- Dissolve baking soda in lemon juice, and add immediately to batter. Blend well, and pour batter into greased cake pan. Bake at 350º for 40-45 minutes, perhaps longer if the cake is deep. Cake is done when a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Cool before cutting. This cake can be dusted with powdered sugar or “frosted” with warm orange marmalade.