Fresh veggies give this sandwich a vibrant flavor. Make sure to give this a try when eggplants and tomatoes are in season!
Grilled Eggplant Sandwich
Servings: 4 sandwiches
- 3 T olive oil extra-virgin (or other oil)
- 2 cloves garlic
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 loaf crustry bread (10 oz) such as ciabatta, sliced in half lengthwise
- 6 oz mozzarella fresh, thinly sliced (option) or vegan parmesan cheese
- 1 medium eggplant (8 oz) cut lengthwsise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium tomatoes cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 14 basil leaves fresh
- •Heat a grill or grill plan to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. In a small bowl, combine garlic with 1 T oil; season with salt and pepper. Brush garlic oil on cut sides of bread and grill until lightly toasted on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes. Optionally, top bottom half with cheese.
- •Brush eggplant with 1 T oil and season with salt and pepper. Gril until tender and lightly charred, 12 to 15 minutes, flipping once. Layer eggplant on cheese (or bread if omitting cheese). Brush tomatoes with 1 T oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes, flipping once. Layer tomatoes on eggplant, top with basil, and sandwich with top half of bread. Cut crosswise into 4 pieces and serve.