Pears baked with Ginger
This recipe uses ginger wine, which is quite common in England. However, you can make your own by using this recipe http://www.recipezaar.com/New-Ginger-Wine-Christmas-Holiday-Ginger-Wine-48833 or you can substitute brandy or even sherry for the wine, and some sweetener and extra ginger to taste, if desired.
Servings: 6 pears
- 6 ripe pears cored with an apple corer
- small to medium knob fresh ginger peeled and cutvery thin slices, depending how keen you are on ginger
- 2 tbsp pecan nuts or pine nuts
- 2 tbsp raisins optional
- approx 1/2 cup ginger wine
- Heat the oven to 180D/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Arrange the cored pears in an ovenproof baking dish.
- Insert the ginger slithers mixed with the pecan, or pine nuts and raisins if using, down the central hole, sprinkling any extra around the pears.
- Pour around the ginger wine - it should be about 2cm deep - then cover the pears with aluminium foil and bake for 30-40 minutes depending on how ripe the pears were.
- Serve whole or halved, as in the picture, with the extra juice and any spare nuts or fruit.