Lentil Barley Soup
Use an 8-quart pot. This soup freezes well. Original recipe from Kay Shumaik, Poway, CA.
Servings: 2 quarts
- 1 lb. lentils
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 2 large potatoes diced
- Oil to saute vegetables if desired
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 cup barley
- 1 28 oz. can tomatoes, pureed in blender
- 3 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbsp. parsley minced
- 2 qt. water
- 1 pkg. Mrs. Grass onion soup optional
- First pick over lentils; remove any pebbles or twigs; set aside.
- Next, dice the carrots, celery and potatoes; cover with water in a bowl and set aside.
- Saute the onion in the soup pot until softened, but not browned, either in oil, or a little tomato juice from the can of tomatoes.
- Add the diced carrots, celery, potatoes and water.
- Add the barley,pureed tomatoes and lentils; add salt,pepper and parsley.
- Add 2 quarts of water and the onion soup.
- Bring to a boil; turn heat down and simmer 1 hour. Add more water if needed. Stir occasionally.
- Soup is done when the barley is tender.