Vegetarian Paella (Gluten-Free)
Feel free to add shrimp or some other shellfish to make this a seafood paella! Also - if you don't like one of the veggies - feel free to substitute another. Just keep the overall quantity the same. For a gluten-free recipe - make sure that the rice is not enriched and is specified gluten-free.
Course: Main Dish
- 1/2 tsp saffron threads
- 2 T hot water
- 6 T oil olive oil if an oil day
- 1 Spanish onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 large eggplant cubed
- 2 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 g lb / 450tomatoes peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 4 oz mushrooms sliced
- 4 oz Green Beans halved
- 14 oz canned pinto beans or other bean of choice
- Put the saffron threads and water in a small bowl or cup and let infuse for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a paella pan or wide, shallow skillet and cook the onion over medium heat, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic, bell peppers, and eggplant and cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until glossy and coated. Pour in the stock and add the tomatoes, saffron and its soaking water, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer, shaking the skillet frequently and stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms, green beans, and pinto beans with their can juices. Cook for an additional 10 minutes, then serve immediately.