I love making salsa with veggies fresh out of my garden. Unfortunately, in November, my tomatoes are either gone or green. Not so great when trying to make salsa. 🙂 . That said, with the first major frost, I needed to pick all my leftover jalepeños at once…I probably have 50 of them in my kitchen now! Salsa is my go-to jalepeño dish, so I decided to try making salsa with canned tomatoes. It actually turned out pretty good!
Restaurant Style Salsa
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 jalepeño peppers minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 red onion minced
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- honey to taste
- cilantro (fresh or dried) to taste
- garlic and onion powder to taste
- salt to taste
- Mince the peppers, garlic and onion. Place in medium size bowl
- Drain diced tomatoes. Pour into bowl with vegetables.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes. If you like a little less liquid, only put in about 3/4 of the can.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add in apple cider vinegar. Stir thoroughly
- Add honey (you may need to microwave it) to taste.
- Add cilantro, salt, garlic power and onion powder to taste.
- Enjoy with tortilla chips! It also works well as a spaghetti sauce.