Original recipe used a bread machine – while this recipe is done by hand
Original recipe used a bread machine - while this recipe is done by hand
Servings: 2 loaves
- 3 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups rye flour
- 1 cup flour unbleached, enriched
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp caraway seeds
- 2 cups water warm
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp molasses
- Put the flours and salt in a bowl. Set aside 1 teaspoon of the caraway seeds, and add the rest to the bowl.
- Put HALF of the water in a bowl with the yeast, let sit until frothy.
- Mix yeast mixture and molasses into the flour mixture. I used my hands to mix until it was shaggy.
- Knead for five minutes or so until it is smooth and elastic. It is a heavy bread so the texture will be slightly grainy. Let rise until doubled.
- Divide dough into two pieces and roll into two 9 inch logs with slightly flattened tops. Place on a greased baking sheet or stone. Brush lightly with water and sprinkle with the remaining caraway.
- Cover and let rise until well-risen (app. 40 minutes) Place in a preheated 450 degree oven and bake for 30 minutes until they sounds hollow.
Source: Based on The Practical Encyclopedia of Baking