This is a simple cake. Make sure the tea prepared is very strong; you can also try using various herbal fruit teas. Regarding the flour at the end, you want to add just enough so the batter is thick, but still pours into the baking pan.
Lenten Honey Monastery Cake
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup tea cold, very strong
- 1 teaspoon baking soda mixed well with the tea
- In a mixer, beat the honey and sugar well.
- Slowly add the oil. Slowly add the 1-1/2 cups flour. Then, slowly add the tea which the baking soda was dissolved in. Then add cinnamon. Add some more flour (about 1/2 cup) until mixture is thick but still will pour easily into a greased and floured 13x9 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.