Source: Laura Ritchey
- 2 cups dried split peas, rinsed
- 6-8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large onion
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. rosemary, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 1.Sauté the onions in olive oil for about 10 minutes, until onions are somewhat translucent; add garlic and rosemary and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- 2.Add the peas and 6 cups of vegetable stock in the saucepan over high heat; add carrots, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and partially cover.
- 3.Simmer for another 40 minutes or so, until the peas become mushy; if at any point the soup seems too thick, add more water or stock.
- 4.Serve hot; top with croutons if desired.