Lenten Chocolate Mocha Cake (or Cupcakes)
This is a light cake and the coffee adds a nice rich flavor. Sprinkle confectioner’s sugar on top or use a vegan chocolate icing.
Lenten Chocolate Mocha Cake
- 3 cups flour less 3 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups coffee strong, cold
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa Hershey's or dutch
- 1 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract pure
- 2 cup sugar
- Sift or whisk all dry ingredients together, combine remaining ingredients together & add to flour. Beat w/ mixer until smooth. Pour into greased & floured 13x9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees approximately 35-40 minutes. Cool, and if desired, dust w/ confectioners sugar or make your favorite Lenten frosting.
WARNING: this recipe is missing sugar! I added 1-1/2 cups of sugar. If you don’t add sugar (or something sweet), it will not taste good!
Thank you for catching this typo! I updated the recipe to reflect the added sweetener.
I actually submitted this recipe quite a few years back & IT IS STILL not correct!! It was 2 cups of sugar, I imagine you could cut it back if desired..I made it for coffee hour yesterday and used dark choc. cocoa and 2 cups sugar was perfect.
Apologies for the long delay in correcting the recipe! Could you verify that it is correct now?
yes recipe is correct….
Moist and delicious (not greasy) — a must have recipe for the Lenten season. I used a decorative bundt pan and sprinkled with powdered sugar when cake cooled.