Crunchy White Bean Sandwich
Source: Catherine Marshall ("When You Fast") - http://www.amazon.com/When-You-Fast-Recipes-Seasons/dp/088141 If cannellini beans (white kidney beans) are not available, user another white bean, such as Great Northern. Tomatoes may be omitted if desired.
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 small green pepper chopped
- 1/2 large celery stalk chopped
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 T chopped parsley
- 1 19-ounce can cannellini beans drained, rinsed, and 2 T liquid reserved
- 6 T red wine vinegar
- 4 T sugar
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 3/4 t prepared yellow mustard
- Black pepper freshly ground
- Place tomatoes, green pepper, celery, scallions, garlic, parsley, and beans in a serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard, and the 2 T reserved bean liquid with pepper to taste. Whisk vigorously with a small whisk or a fork until the sugar is dissolved, and the liquid is slightly thickened. Pour over the vegetables in the serving bowl and toss gently to combine. Allow to sit at room temperature, covered with plastic wrap, for about 1 hour to marinate.
- Using a regular or slotted spoon, place portions of the mixture in pita halves or over toasted bread, not allowing all the dressing to drain away.
- Serve immediately.