Source: Barbara Linnehan, Holy Apostles Mission, Mechanicsburg PA
- 12 oz. uncooked black beans (rinsed)
- 2 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. olive oil (can substitute tomato juice)
- 2 cups chopped oinoins
- 2 Tbsp. chopped seeded green chili pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes – drained, seeded, and diced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- In a bowl combine beans with enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand overnight.
- In 4-quart soup pot, heat oil over medium heat; add onions, chili pepper and garlic, and saute, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened. Drain beans (discarding soaking liquid), add beans to pan along with 1 quart plus 3 cups water and remaining ingredients; mix well, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover pan, and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 2 hours. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour 1-2 cups soup into blender, process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, repeat procedure until half of the soup has been processed. Pour soup back into pan with unprocessed soup. Cook over medium heat until soup is heated through, 5-10 minutes.