Poor Man's Cookies
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup shortening melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, combine oats, sugars, flour and salt. Combine soda and water; stir in oats mixture along with shortening and vanilla.
- Roll into walnut-size balls. Place on greased cookies sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven; allow to stand 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.