Poor Man's Cookies
"In the 1930s, producers of a popular radio program called Jake and Lena invited listeners to write in for this recipe. My mother changed the name from Jake and Lena Cookies to Poor Man's Cookies because they contained no eggs, milk or nuts. Despite the name, the cookies are rich in taste!"
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup shortening melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, combine oats, sugars, flour and salt. Combine soda and water; stir in oats mixture along with shortening and vanilla.
- Roll into walnut-size balls. Place on greased cookies sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven; allow to stand 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Source: Georgia Perrine - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/poor-mans-cookies/detail.aspx