- 1 in unbaked pie shell 9-inch, make sure it doesn't have butter or eggsit
- 1 cup unsifted flour
- 1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup golden table molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Put the unbaked pie shell in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 5 minutes to prevent the bottom from getting soggy.
- Combine the topping ingredients in a bowl and cut together with a pastry blender or rub with your fingers until the mixture forms fine crumbs. Set aside.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the water in a large mixing bowl. Add the molasses and salt and blend well.
- Pour this into the pie shell and sprinkle evenly with the crumb topping.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes, or until set (when the pie is given a gentle shake, the top remains firm).