On strict fast days, use vegan pierogies. Typically, the more traditional “Polish” pierogies are dairy-free. On fast days that cheese is allowed – add the optional cheese.
- 1 16.9 oz package Potato & Onion Pierogies frozen
- 1 15 oz can vegetarian chili or two cups vegan chili
- 1 cup salsa or picante sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese optional
- In a large saucepan, heat pierogies in boiling water until they float, about 5 minutes; drain and place in a covered serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized skillet or saucepan, combine chili and salsa; cook and stir over medium-high heat until bubbly around the edges, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in corn; reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir until hot, about 7 minutes more. Spoon chili sauce over hot pierogies; sprinkle with cheese.
Adapted from Mrs. T’s Pierogies Recipe Booklet