Source: Barb Williams
Taken from Jane Brody’s Good Food Book which has many great recipes and food information!
- 2 T.olive or vegetable oil
- 2 large or 3 medium onions
- 3 carrots, coarsely grated
- 3/4 t. marjoram, crumbled
- 3/4 t. thyme leaves, crumbled
- 7 c. vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 c dried lentils, rinsed and picked over.
- 1/2 t. salt if desired
- 1/4-1/2 t. pepper or to taste
- 6 oz. dry white wine
- 1/3 c. chopped fresh parsley or 2 T. dried parsley flakes
- 1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and saute the onions, carrots, marjoram, and thyme, stirring the vegetables for about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, broth, and lentils. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer the soup for about 1 hour or until the lentils are tender
- 3. Add the salt, pepper, wine and parsley, and simmer the soup for a few minutes.