Creamy Lemon Shrimp Risotto
- 2 cups vegetable stock or fish stock
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup lemon juice divided
- sea salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp dairy-free soy margarine or cream cheese optional
- Fresh dill or parsley optional
- Lemon zest for garnish
- Black pepper to taste
- In a medium-sized stockpot over medium heat, bring the broth to a simmer and cover. In a small bowl, toss the spinach, 1/4 cup lemon juice and season with salt. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat 1 T. of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shrimp in a single layer and season with salt, cooking until the shrimp are opaque, about 4 minutes, flipping them as needed. Set aside and cover until ready to use.
- Heat the remaining 1 T. olive oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat (I just use the same one as the shrimp), adding the chopped onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the rice, and, stirring constantly, cook until the rice is evenly coated and sounds like crispy rice cereal in the pan, making snapping and popping noises, about 4 minutes. Add the wine, stirring constantly, until all of the liquid is completely absorbed.
- Ladle 3/4 cup of the simmering broth into the rice and cook, continuing to stir, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add the lemon juice to the stockpot.
- Continue to add the broth in 3/4-cup increments, allowing the liquid to be absorbed before another addition, until the rice is translucent around the edges but still solid in the middle and the rice is of a creamy consistency, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and gently stir in the shrimp and spinach. If desired, stir in the 1 T. soy margarine or cream cheese, fresh herbs and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.