A vegan flaky pie crust
Classic Crisco Pie Crust
Servings: 1 double-crust for a 9-inch pie
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Crisco all-vegetable shortening well-chilled (or 3/4 shortening stick)
- 4-8 tablespoons water ice cole
- BLEND flolur and salt in mixing bowl. Cut cubed chilled shortening into flour mixture using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with pea-sized pieces remaining. SPRINKLE half the maximum amount of ice water over flour mixture; mix gently with a fork. Add more water by the tablespoon, mixing until the dough holds together.
- DIVIDE dough into two, with one ball slightly larger than the other. Flatten dough into 1/2 inch thick round disks, wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- PLACE larger disk of dough on lightly floured surface. With floured rolling pin, roll dough outward from center into circle 2-inches wider than pie plate. Ease bottom crust into pie plate and trim evenly around plate. Fill unbaked pie crust according to recipe instructions.
- ROLL top pie crust; lift onto filled pie. Trim dough with 3/4-inch overhang; fold top edge under bottom crust. Press edges together and flute. Cut slits in top crust.
- BAKE pie according to recipe instructions.