Simple Cornbread (Bobota)
A simple dense, crumbly cornbread with no flour, milk, eggs or butter, brightened with a squeeze of fresh orange juice.
Servings: 1 9-inch round loaf
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder or baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4-5 tbsp orange juice freshly squeezed from 1/2 large orange
- 1/4 cup oil olive or corn
- about 1 cup water lukewarm
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175-180 degrees C)
- Whisk together the cornmeal, sugar, and baking powder to combine well. In a separate bowl, mix oil, orange juice, and water, and stir until well blended. Add liquids to the dry ingredients and stir.
- Pour batter into a well-oiled 9-inch pie pan and bake for 40-45 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the pan. It should come out dry.
- Cool at least 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Original Source: Nancy Gaifyllia