Wonderful, vegan, low-fat recipe from a beloved grandmother in our church.
- 1 lb navy beans dried
- 12 cups water additional for soaking
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 2 cups celery chopped
- 2 cups carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 cups potatoes peeled and roughly hopped
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 T salt or to taste
- 1/2 t black pepper ground
- 2 Knot vegetable cube boullion optional
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 t oregano
Soak navy beans over night. Drain. (Save soaking water to water your plants with!) Put beans in a large soup pot, add 12 cups water, the onion, garlic, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then simmer for an hour or more until beans are soft.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and simmer until veggies and beans are done to your liking. Maybe another hour.
Prep and cooking times listed are approximate.
Makes about 5 quarts or 10 servings of 2 cups each.