Sweet Potato Biscuits
These biscuits remind me of Thanksgiving each time I eat them! As a substitute for each cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.
Servings: 18 biscuits
- 2 cups flour self-rising
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- 7 tbsp margarine (vegan baking sticks), divided
- 3 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sweet potatoes mashed
- 6 tbsp milk non-dairy
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Cut in 4 tablespoons vegan margarine and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, combine sweet potatoes and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2 in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Based off recipe from Taste of Home Holiday - February 2010