Vegetarian Asian Noodles with Peanut Sauce
This dish works well for pot-lucks, as it can be served warm or at room temperature. The heat level of chili-garlic sauces (available in the Asian section of larger supermarkets) varies widely; start with the least amount, and add more to taste. Udon noodles, made from wheat flour, are usually available in the Asian section of natural food stores or larger supermarkets. For a variation, use a packaged broccoli slaw mix instead of the carrots.
Course: Main Dish
- 1/2 9 ouce package uncooked udon noodles or 4 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 2 cups fresh snow peas sliced diagonally into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2-4 T hot chili sauce with garlic
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted peanuts
Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add snow peas and carrots; stir-fry 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Add water, peanut butter, green onions, chili sauce and soy sauce; mix well. Stir in noodles; toss to coat. Sprinkle with peanuts. Serve warm or at room temperature.