Source: Ruth Baum, St Ignatius Orthodox Church, Madison, WI
Wonderful, vegan, low fat recipe from a beloved grandmother in our church.
Prep and cooking times listed are approximate.
150 Minutes to Prepare and Cook
Makes about 5 quarts or 10 servings of 2 cups each.
- 1 pound navy beans, dried
- water for soaking
- Additional 12 cups water for soup
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups peeled chopped carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups peeled and coarsely chopped potatoes
- 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Knorr Vegetable Bouillon cubes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Soak navy beans over night. Drain. (Save soaking water to water your plants with!) Put beans in a large soup pot, add 12 cups water, the onion, garlic, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then simmer for an hour or more until beans are soft.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and simmer until veggies and beans are done to your liking. Maybe another hour.
- Makes about 5 quarts or 10 servings of 2 cups each.
Baba's Bean Soup